? for the pro painters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleDIY

Reaction score
When painting interior w texture,how many coats do you put on?? Everytime I paint new drywall with texture,I prime and then paint. But for whatever reason the first coat always comes out uneven.

Any suggestions??

I'm not a pro but I can share with you what a pro taught me when he did my house. First, if you're painting other than a white, you'll get uneven areas showing more due to variances in your texture (some will suck more paint). If it's any color other than white it is usually primer plus two color coats needed. If you are paint a deeper color, try tinting your primer 50% of the finish color to help with density. The exception is the red palette, add black to primer to make it med to dark gray depending on your red. If you tint the primer with red, you'll get pink and it won't help get the deep color desired. Deep blues are also a hard color to get even and dense. Deep colors may require 3-4 coats. White-based, lighter colors can be done in 1 to 2. Just thought of this: what nap are you using if rolling? The pro guys use one step heavier than most homeowners to get more paint on and get done quicker, ex: a 1/2 inch instead of 3/8 on smooth/med surfaces. Hope this helps.

If you are using a dark color adding a tint to the primer is a good idea. You have to understand that the texture itself (if new) will suck up a ton of paint or primer. You need to be extra generous with your coats of paint. Shadows from the texture will also give you the feeling that its uneven. We've been painting for over 20 years and with my experience, more is better!

Denver Painters | Painting Company Denver | Denver SEO

You need a heavier nap roller sleeve than usall and regardless of what color is going on there you need a min of 1 coat primer and min 2 coats finish paint.
When we tint the primer we use a 1/8 to 1/4 formula of the finished color formula

hi Daryl,
The formula 1/8 to 1/4 is the best. Even most of us used the same method to finish the color formula as well. I think it's world wide technique.

Regards
Austin

Back