Help Please! Slate on Wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george28

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 15 foot wall that bears over the fireplace. My wife and I are going to replace the old tile around fireplace with slate. We've considered placing slate all the way up to the ceiling. Is this feasible,safe? My next question is whether slate can be adhere to drywall that has already been textured and painted? The stack has flat paint on it already. Can I just put mastic on the painted wall? Any input will be useful. BTW I am new to this forum and this is my first post so hello to everyone! Thanks.
Ive attached the pic of fireplace and 15 foot wall stack.

edited.JPG

Sorry, but tile needs a cement base. Take it all down to the studs and put up Durarock or Hardibacker first (could go over...but why...might find they went over brick underneath already!). If your cement board is secured to your studs, the slate should be fine (my brother did this in his rec. room -- no problems and it's been six years). The Tile Guy gave me great advice when I asked for a shortcut...don't...and now I know I won't have to think about my kitchen floor again!!

You CAN install tile over drywall.
TCA (Tile Council of America) approves of installation of wall tile over gypsum board.
You don't necessarily HAVE to use a backerboard system.

I would NOT use a mastic or pre-mix, but rather a modified thinset.

You are going to get technical for the top row over that arched niche over the fireplace. Gravity is a mother on wall applications.

Good luck on your project.

Latest posts

Back