Scaffolds for Exterior Painting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
As i begin to prepare for paint removal and primer/repaint,
I thought I'd check with the experts about scaffolds.

The house is three levels high, and I will need to have good footing for scraping as well.. Comments on brands or features to look for in scaffolds are welcome.

Thanks,

vince

Vince:

Your best bet would probably be to rent the scaffolding rather than buy it. You can also buy used scaffolding at a discount.

What I'd suggest is to get several sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and set those beside your house and roll your scaffolding on wheels. The wheels will come with wheel locks so that you can prevent the scaffolding from moving when you don't want it to.

Thansk Nestor. With the house I have, it'll be way cheaper to buy it. I was looking on craigslist, but wondered if there was anything I should/shouldn't look for. I'll dome further checking at the big box stores to figure out what I want, then check the internet.

Great idea about the plywood, but I am not to be so lucky as I have flower beds around most of the house.

Thanks!

vince

Vince, I would strongly suggest to invest in fall protection. Rope, harness and secure tie off. Buy new not used. Don't risk it or think you are 10 foot tall and bullet proof, cause gravity will always win. Make sure your scaffold is secured to the building and don't take any un-necessary chances.

You can find some deals on used scaffolding equipment at pawn shops sometimes or a re-tool place if you have one near by. Or try a commercial equipment company that rents, sometimes they cycle out old equipment. Worth a try.

Old Dog, THANKS! That was my next thing to search out, especially as I need to spend time on the roof as well. Not only rope, but how to secure it too.

Old Dog, THANKS! That was my next thing to search out, especially as I need to spend time on the roof as well. Not only rope, but how to secure it too.

Just remember to not throw the rope over the roof, secure it to the bumper of your car and then tell your significant other to go to the store and get some nails.;) Instead there are brackets that come in a harness kit that attach to the ridge of the roof. Remove a piece of ridge cap, nail the bracket and caulk the nail heads and any holes left from the capping. If you have any holes in the shingles replace the shingle when you are done with the job, don't rely on caulking nail holes, they will eventually fail.

Back