asbestos concern in this pic?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_c_c

Reaction score
Howdy!

We just bought an old house and discovered the original time is under the vinyl and under the linoleum. I've peeled a little back and would LOVE to restore it back to the original tile by removing the rest...

However, when asking at Lowe's what tools I need, they asked if it had asbestos - and I have no idea.

By looking at these images, do I need to worry about it, or just get a heat gun and start peeling?

http://www.autumncornwell.com/tile1.jpg

(the vinyl on top just peeled back - any chance it has any? I'm new to all this...)

Thanks!!!

- jc

tile1.jpg

If the linoleum squares are 9x9, they almost certainly contain asbestos. That said, linoleum-encapsulated asbestos isn't readily friable, so the risk is much lower than what people normally associate with asbestos. I would seal off the area completely with plastic, vent outside with a fan blowing out a window if possible, wear a disposable coverall and respirator (not a paper mask but a proper respirator), and try to remove the squares without breaking them (probably the most important part). Beware that the mastic may also contain asbestos, and I'm not sure the best way to clear it off your tile. Once you're done, wipe everything down, and don't worry too much about it.

Matt

Getting it tested would be the best approach. Also understand that if the floor tiles are sound, you can easily place a new surface directly over the asbestos tiles, it this would work for you.

If it test positive for asbestos and you decide to tear it out, get a garden sprayer and spray it down with water to keep the dust to a minimum.

Just a thought, but in my experience, the previous owners usually cover things up because there is something wrong with them. Not trying to discourage you from trying, but be aware that you may go through the trouble of prying all of this linoleum up and risking your health, only to discover the tile is cracked, burnt, stained or missing in some places.

Most jobs turn out to be much harder than they look. There is always that one unexpected problem that screws everything up. Be prepared!

Just wanted to update the thread with a pic of the floor after lots of scraping, scrubbing, and jump-suit-glove-respirator fun. They were 9x9, but I sprayed with water and prayed a lot... I'm please only 2 hex tiles were missing, the rest cleaned up pretty good - and still have some work to do. And a big crack, but I'll call it earthquake battle scars...

http://www.autumncornwell.com/floor.jpg

always a worthwhile effort when it turns out well like that, looks good.

As they say, "pics, or it didn't happen!" :p

Congrats on this accomplishment!

Holy crap! What a difference!

I just covered my "asbestos suspect" tiles w/ a new floor since it was in my den.

Back