Garage door reverses

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeker

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have a wooden garage door with a Sears opener on it. A few weeks ago i had one of the springs break. I replaced both with a matching set. Now when you press the button to close it. It will go almost all the way down and then reverse automatically, as if it would hit something. I have tried adjusting the downpressure switch to no avail. If you hold the interior button and release it when the door is all the way down there is no problem. Is there a way to bypass the safety switch? I realize this is not a correct repair, but I live in a rural area, no kids, pets etc. and it would be OK here! Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!:D

It sounds like you have a door with two extension sprngs -- one on each side? The ones you bought may not be matched closely causing the door to cock on the way down and jam causing ther overload to trip and raise the door(safety feature against blockage). If you have a spring scale(fish scale will work), you may want to check the extension force for a given extended length to be sure.

If the spring is a match to the other one, you need to be sure that they are both extended equally when the door is closed. This will give approximately the same force. You will need to adjust the cable length so this happens.

Although you shouldn't bypass the safety feature, there is usually an adjustment for the trip force on the opener. You instructions should show you how to do this.

Yup, there should be a screw somewhere on the unit that you can adjust. This will allow more or less force applied against the movement of the door to cause the opener to reverse.

Back