How much does your property taxes run?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$488 for a house valued just under 30k! Vidor Texas

$350 for a value of $64,000 and an extra lot. Next year will be better though, I will qualify for Homestead Exemption on $32,000 of it (I will turn 65).

It will be probably a grand for a place that's worth 90K. Not bad compared to where I came from. Currently Wake County, NC. Came from Loudoun County, VA. That was baaaad. They had to go six months cuz it was high.

Sorry CCC:
I didn't see your question until just now. I live in Western Kentucky, near Owensboro.
Glenn

Here Mid Vancouver Island BC I pay around $1000.00 for a 1200 sq ft rancher on .44 acres valued at 325000 but thats about to go WAY UP, sewer is coming in so for the next 20 years it looks like its going to be around another 1900 a year OUCHHHHHHHHH

My son pays about $3500 for a $400,000 home and thinks it is a great bargain.

The twin boys are now in school and out of day care but they save about $200/week on day care when the kids can go to school ($7000+). You get good education for a minimum amount per year in addition to fire, police, building codes, minimum standards, recreation facilities, team sports and a municipal recreation center/YMCA. The more spent on education, the more the property will be worth in the future.

From a return on investment standpoint, it is almost immediate and in 20 years, worth many, many times more. Even old people like myself have no justification to to complain if the money is well spent now even if we have no kids in school.

When he grew up, I complained about the taxes, but did not realize the benifits from living where you got a good education. He had a great school system that was not afraid to spend money if it made sense. His public school had access to a year round "retreat" 150 miles out of town where they had a dining halls, full time cooks where the classes could go to for about a week with the teachers. They had no idea how much they learned by looking at swamp water and measuring trees to calculate board feet of lumber. The teachers also learned.

Much of his sucess is due to the taxes I begrudgingly paid and the good schools. I did not realize it was an investment if you are aware and make sure the money is used well. When he was young, my taxes were a well amount of invested $1500 per year on a $100,000 home, which seemed high. I could have found cheaper taxes, but thank goodness I was "dumb" enough to end up in a good area. (Location!, Location!!, Locationn!!!).

Latest posts

Back