Fixing the fireplace Hearth

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I attempted to replace the fireplace hearth tile and the first two came out easy. The third tile didn't budge when i tried to pry it out but i heard falling bricks. When i went into the basement the wonderbar knocked out the bricks under the tile.

I'm trying to decide the best way to fix/beef up the hearth support, I'm guessing i am going to remove the brick, frame out the floor joists, add some cement board and re-lay the tile.

Is this the suggested methods or does anyone have a better way or some suggestions or gotchas?

Thanks

2014-12-26 21.01.28.jpg

2014-12-26 21.01.40.jpg

2014-12-26 21.01.47.jpg

Gas or wood fireplace, Tile over wood is ok here for gas. Not sure about wood fireplace.
Somebodies better idea, brick using wood for structure, wood moves, bricks start wiggling loose from day one.:hide:

Interesting original construction. I am guessing it passed inspection ... Your approach is solid but it seems overkill. Unless you have lots of time and budget $$, I think you can repair the damage and get on with the tiling. So, here is an approach:

1. Finish your demolition, knowing there might be more collateral damage. Save the dislodged bricks
2. Re-join the bricks in the underside. You can use typical mortar. Refractory mortar is used inside the firebox and your hearth does not get that kind of heat.
3. Rejoin the bricks.
4. Apply the cement board and tile to your heart's content.

You might find this video humbling and instructive ...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB8TWMKHHMQ[/ame]

The house is from 1927 and its the original brick and tile. Its a wood fireplace that I have been using until now.

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know what i decide to do but I always end up over-killing everything!

The house is from 1927 and its the original brick and tile. Its a wood fireplace that I have been using until now.

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know what i decide to do but I always end up over-killing everything!

This is a good thing Drew.

Latest posts

Back