Adding electric for bath and bedroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
We've been cleared to convert our garage to a bedroom with 1/2 bath (possibly a full bath). With electrical, I'm guessing I will have to have someone licensed do the work, but what can I do to keep the costs as low as possible. I have added circuits before, but doing an entire room with bathroom seems overwhelming. My building inspector said I need to tell my electrician to sue NEC 2008 and tie in the smoke detector to the existing ones (which are only battery operated), so I'm not sure how that will work. Suggestions?

(The garage does have a subpanel, but uses fuses not breakers)

Hello Cibula:
You might ask a professional electrician to draw up a schematic of the electrical service for the conversion with DIY type notes so that you can do it on your own. Most codes will allow the home-owner to do work on their own house.
Glenn

cibula11: If you've added circuits before, I don't see why you can't wire the rooms. There's not that much involved. What is involved: a number of outlets, an exhaust fan (maybe), some lighting, telephone jack/TV cable (probably). Don't see a problem; just a matter of extending your work. You know what you need. It is important, of course, that your subpanel has the capacity for the additions.

The subpanel uses fuses and i'll need a AFCI so I'm guessing that old fuse box would need to be converted to a subpanel. Any ideas on what something like that typically runs?

Back