Water Leaks/Damage Help!!!!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wml52

Reaction score
Anyone leaving near or around Albany NY knows we have had severe winds and record rainfall these past couple of weeks. I have a Moosehead Cedar Log home and recently noticed that I have water damage in several places. The first being what appears to be the vertical seams on one portion of the side wall (see attached photo) the second and more worrisome is the water damage to the maple floor near and around the patio door (see attached photos) I went into the basement and pull away the insulation in that area, what I found was that the OSB sub floor appeared to be dry, however I noticed a small wet spot on the floor directly beneath the heating duct that feeds the register (that is in the photo) close to the patio door. When I poked a hole in the duct insulation water came pouring out. It appears that the water had gotten between the finished floor and the sub floor and the duct acted like a drain. What I need help with is where and why is the wall and door leaking, I know water leaks are a difficult to locate since water tends to seek it’s own path. This is a relatively new home I have it two years now and have never experienced this problem before, not even with last years record snow falls. I would appreciate any information or help regarding this problem. Thanks!

Sincerely
Bill

Wall 3.jpg

Corner of patio door.jpg

door-register.jpg

floor damage.jpg

Leaks such as yours are extremely difficult to track down. All I would recommend you do is to start at the most obvious location, and work your way up from there. The only good thing about water leaks is that they will generally not flow uphill.

I had a ceiling leak for years and only discovered it by accident when I happened to look at my antenna wire supports, which were screwed into the roof, 25' away from the leak.

Leaks such as yours are extremely difficult to track down. All I would recommend you do is to start at the most obvious location, and work your way up from there. The only good thing about water leaks is that they will generally not flow uphill.

I had a ceiling leak for years and only discovered it by accident when I happened to look at my antenna wire supports, which were screwed into the roof, 25' away from the leak.

Havasu is correct. Water leaks are sometimes hard to find. Check for lack of flashing above windows and doors, flashing under a door or window and anything, anywhere near where you see the water can be suspect.

it'll be difficult to determine where the water is coming from. If water is going to your floors and flowing in the basement would it be a grade issue? Do you have your home graded so water flows away from the house? Does water pond near the door? Is the patio door sill at the same level as the ground outside? Water does generally move from higher to lower ground but it also disperses in all directions so it'll be difficult to determine where the leak is coming from. Hope you figure it out. Good luck.

Water damage can cause permanent structural damage to the home and erode its strength so you have to do something immediately.

Back