test kits for water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I want to test the quality of water coming out of our faucet + out of the fridge filter. The purpose is two-fold: to see how bad or good the water is to begin with and whether it's really that critical to replace the fridge filter as often as it is indicated.

Can you recommend any specific test kits? I found several on Amazon but not sure what to pick.

I live in MD near DC.

Thanks!

No point in testing...

Either replace it as indicated or, expect funky stuff to grow in it.

If you don't like replacing the filter then eliminate it!

Your water company publishes the testing results.
Here is a typical water company water quality report.
http://www.ctwater.com/documents/2009WaterQualityRpt-FINAL-FINAL.pdf

I am not trying to eliminate the filter. I am trying to determine whether I can avoid replacing it as often as the fridge tells me to without drinking bad water.

The reason for the time factor without flow is limiting biological growth in the filter.
Change the filter as indicated there is no testing needed.

Most fridge filters are filled with carbon. Carbon takes out chlorine and taste and odor. If your on city water the carbon will do just that. Problem is, bacteria can live on the side of the filter that chlorine can't get to and it will multiply and start stinking. Carbon also polish's the water so the cubes look real clear. If you don't want to replace it, remove it like Redwood suggested and the cubes will be almost as clear as before and free of bacteria because the chlorine will be getting all the way to the cube.

Hey there ilyaz I agree with Redwood and Speedbump change the filter on time. Keeping it in use past the set change time is just inviting trouble. By not changing it you not only promote the growth of mold but also run the risk of drinking water more contaminated than with no filter at all. Any number of contaminates can start to creep through as the filter ceases to function optimally. And trust me you don't want to be ingesting anything growing in an expired filter. So for the sake of playing it safe follow the recommended change schedule and avoid any potential problems before they start.

Cheers,
ChrisFixit

change the filter, you might want to save money but you will end up ill

What every you do, don't send a water sample from melted ice cubes, to the MD State for testing. If you have any growth in the water and they find out. You only think you have problems now. I live in MD also.

Latest posts

Back