DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Why are shades of grey the "in" colours?




Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 PM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 361
Liked 71 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Why are shades of grey the "in" colours?

I have seen a few new model homes in my area. They all seem to be painted in various grey tones. I am ex-navy, so grey tones make me think off a ship.

Why is that what is popular these days?


swimmer_spe is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:11 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
slownsteady's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 6,454
Liked 1159 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 1904

Default

Neutral colors are big b/c everyone has been taught to think of their homes in terms of resale. White is too stark and overused, so grey is the new white.


__________________
Learn something every day
---
SnS
slownsteady is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 PM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 361
Liked 71 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Neutral colors are big b/c everyone has been taught to think of their homes in terms of resale. White is too stark and overused, so grey is the new white.
The people I bought this house from must not have thought that way. One room was Pink. and one room was Blue. Now, we are not talking light colours. Deep colours.

I get your reason, but I know the first thing I would have to do, is paint. Grey is so dreary.
swimmer_spe is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,701
Liked 3050 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 5035

Default

You have to have a new colour so last years colour is out dated. The gray is better than the sand of a few years ago.
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: , Oh Hah
Posts: 166
Liked 103 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default

We've got a few gray rooms in our house. I don't mind them, and it's easy to find art to hang on the walls that doesn't clash. (When you've got lots of art on the wall you won't think "battleship" so much.)

Some of our gray rooms don't get much natural light, which means the gray makes it a bit dreary and I'd prefer a lighter or more vivid color in those rooms. It also means the actual way the rooms look depends on the color of the light bulbs--some are more yellow, some are closer to white.

I assumed the OP was talking about the exterior. (The exterior of my house is gray too, come to think of it. A light gray.)
Flyover is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 361
Liked 71 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
We've got a few gray rooms in our house. I don't mind them, and it's easy to find art to hang on the walls that doesn't clash. (When you've got lots of art on the wall you won't think "battleship" so much.)

Some of our gray rooms don't get much natural light, which means the gray makes it a bit dreary and I'd prefer a lighter or more vivid color in those rooms. It also means the actual way the rooms look depends on the color of the light bulbs--some are more yellow, some are closer to white.

I assumed the OP was talking about the exterior. (The exterior of my house is gray too, come to think of it. A light gray.)

OP here, nope, I meant the interiors. You stated the exact thought. Itt looks dreary.
swimmer_spe is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:59 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
slownsteady's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 6,454
Liked 1159 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 1904

Default

There are a thousand shades of gray. if you think about it in terms of blending black and white, white being 0% and black being 100%.....battleship gray is probably about 50%. Try a 25% gray.
__________________
Learn something every day
---
SnS
slownsteady is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,701
Liked 3050 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 5035

Default

Oh sure another black and white issue.
nealtw is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:44 PM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 361
Liked 71 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
There are a thousand shades of gray. if you think about it in terms of blending black and white, white being 0% and black being 100%.....battleship gray is probably about 50%. Try a 25% gray.
This isn't some poorly written novel on rape and torture.... and my home should not look like that either.
swimmer_spe is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:51 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,701
Liked 3050 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 5035

Default

I think picking colours for houses is a kinda gray area.


nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Tutotial 2.A "Gruyere model" pendant lamp with recycled plastic joguelamp Decorating and Design 0 11-30-2014 10:36 AM
Are "latex-modified" and "polymer-modified" thinsets the same? Angelique General Home Improvement Discussion 2 03-13-2014 07:38 PM
Difference between "baseboards" and "moulding" panzerfaust0 Walls and Ceilings 8 01-18-2012 02:55 AM
"GROUP BUY" price for "SWISSTRAX" Tile Flooring 427HISS Garage & Workshop Forum 3 05-31-2011 01:44 AM
System running Hot while set to "Cool" & "Off" halogen49 HVAC 7 03-06-2011 05:42 PM



Newest Threads