Lead paint on windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinder

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, and I'm sure this question has been posed a million times. But I'm looking for some advice about the windows in the house we're renovating. We have removed most of the trim and removed the paint from the pieces we removed. We're planning to sand them and paint them. However, the wood directly on and right around the windows still has lead paint. A painter told me to bleach it and to use steel wool where it needs to be sanded, then use an oil-based primer and then latex paint. Someone else suggested using a heat gun to remove the paint. I know that the politically correct answer is to remove the paint because it's on a window, but I would like some real advice. If it's necessary, I'll do it. But if not...

I never heard of bleaching something you're going to paint. Also, I think way too much fuss is made about getting rid of ALL lead paint. If it's sound and not peeling, just give it a very light sanding, prime and paint it. Wear a good quality dust mask, of course, and clean up afterwards. But if the lead is contained in stable painted surface, it's not going to jump out and get anybody.

Hey Cinder:
My experience with lead based paint is; no matter how you scrape it, sand it, pressure wash it, the latex paint still pulls more of it loose every time. When latex paint dries it works like laying your hand on your desk flat out, now bring your fingers and thumb into a fist while still in contact with the desk. That means latex will continue to pull old paint off, no matter how many times you 'prep' the surface. Incidently, it does the same to your oil based primer. If you plan to use lates paint to finish, you should start with latex pirmer on bare wood.
I know there will be some who will argue with me and spout about all their painting experience. I can't hear them, I know how it works and I gurantee it will work the same way for you.
Glenn

If you want no lead paint...you have it removed. I have to much experience with this issue, just like Glenn says. Unfortunatly it is a real problem...no hoaxs here, only brain loss issues.:D

...no hoaxs here, only brain loss issues.:D

I don't get it.
104.gif

I was refering to lead based paint being a real problem with children. Some folks think it is a hoax, like they also think radon gas is a hoax.
I see to many inner city homes with lead problems and people painting over it and thinking the issue goes away. I guess Glenn just pushed my panic button and I went to work. Just tryin to keep it real.:)

Lead paint will destroy the human brain. It is widely believed that the fall of Rome was the result of drinking water from lead pipes. They were cool to fashion pipe to carry their water; they had the best water distribution system at the time but the lead disolved in the water and was consumed by the citizenry, causing a lot of brain failures.
HUD says children eat lead paint that peels off and get the same results.
Glenn

I was joking! Get it? lead, like duuuhhh... brain dead? Ughh.. nevermind.

The thing is, when lead based paint is stable and not peeling, there is no hazard. If it's peeling, that's a whole different story.

About 60% of my work is on apartments which I can assure you have lead paint on all the trim. It does not peel when I apply latex paint over it. The only time it peels is when it was applied over old varnish, or when they didn't bother scuff sanding gloss or satin finish enamels before applying it, or if there is water damage or similar event. If the lead based paint is stable, it can be ligtly sanded (wear a dust mask, clean up afterward) and painted with latex or oil based paint.

Note that in some areas, building code requires a certain thickness be applied over the lead, for containment.

And by the way, removing the lead paint via heat gun or scraper will release way more lead dust into the air than any amount of peeling. Also, if the tinyest, most minute amount of lead was so toxic, we would all be virtually brain dead from sharpening pencils in grammer school.

If the paint is stable and there is no particular reason to remove it, leave it alone.

So I ditd teg da jko. I whent ta choll hand 8 mi led pancels.:eek:
And yes ...no heat guns.
The other problem is that every time you get a door or window that rubs on the trim...presto-chango..lead dust.
That is the main reason I try...and try ,,,and try to get folks to start from scratch....
If only it were a perfect world.....;)
hehehehehehrubbersiutheheheheh

I wish I could start from scratch inspectorD. We're taking off as much wood as possible without messing up the window. I guess maybe eventually we could replace the windows. But there are so many freakin' windows in this house -- 7 in the kitchen alone! Ughh... what a pain. I did think about buying one of those $300 things they show on TV that you put right on the lead paint and it just comes right off. Does anyone have any experience with that thing? My husband doesn't want me to get one because he thinks that if they worked so well, they'd be at Home Depot, etc. and we would've heard more about them.

The thing on TV is simply an infrared appliance. There are heaters that look like a hair dryer for less money. Heat is the secret to get lead paint off wherever the heat comes from. The lead melts and releases from the wood so you can just peel it off.
Glenn

The thing on TV is simply an infrared appliance. There are heaters that look like a hair dryer for less money. Heat is the secret to get lead paint off wherever the heat comes from. The lead melts and releases from the wood so you can just peel it off.
Glenn

Ooohh... bad idea. :eek:

The last thing you want to do is use heat or abrasion to remove lead paint. Those are the 2 sure fire ways ( no pun intended ) to get as much lead into the air as possible. If you're going to remove it, use a chemical stripper. The enzyme based strippers work really well and won't destroy your health in the process.

Interesting posts on this subject. I'm thinking maybe its time some one posts what brands used lead paints and what era are we talking about

We recently found out our daughter has lead poisoning. It turns out it is from our windows. Our house was built in the late 1800s. There is lead paint on our windows, and most are peeling in certain spots.
The health department had told us to replace all 33 windows in our house. and until we do we need to keep our daughter away from the windows, and we are not allowed to open them. I asked them if we just painted over the lead paint (after cleaning it) if that would work. They said no. Because, in time the lead paint will still peel underneath the new paint. Once that happens it will start peeling the new paint away. Plus the inside of the windows have lead dust in them. We cant clean every corner of the window because some parts we cant get to. So even a little bit of lead dust can cause damage.
It is a big pain but replacing the windows is your BEST option. painting over will just delay the problem from occurring... This information is based on what the State Health Department had told us.

Good luck

Back