Shower Curb Size

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A plastic shower base is attached to the studs. The backer board stops at the flange and the tiles cover the flange. So you would frame the spot for those measurements exactly.

A plastic shower base is attached to the studs. The backer board stops at the flange and the tiles cover the flange. So you would frame the spot for those measurements exactly.

So, Neal, you're saying the 30" or 54" inches is measured from the A point on the drawing. Are the other sides of those measurements C (from my drawing)? If anyone has taken a tape measure to their shower pan, they'd be able to answer this question very quickly.

All I know for sure is in new houses if the plan says 60" that's what you frame it. That's true for tubs and showers. Once in a while a plumber shoes up with something from China, slightly smaller, then you just strap the wall with something to make it the right size.

Trying to compare with someones finished product may not work, as you don't know exactly what they have done. On ocasions we have notched studs on older houses if the new item is slightly larger than what was framed. So if you measured that finished shower it would appear smaller.

So I'm confused....you say you're using a pre-slope kit but then you're talking about using a pan. With a pre-slope kit you will tile the shower floor. With a plastic shower base you don't need a pre-slope kit because that plastic base pan has the slope built into it.

I am trying to make my mud shower floor (using a pre-pitch kit) the same dimensions as a standard shower pan, so that a standard glass shower door will fit, without having to pay for a custom shower door. I misspoke and called my mud/liner/mud floor a "pan". I'm not a professional so my jargon usage gets muddled.

Here's why I'm still confused. If both the standard 54" x 30" glass shower enclosure, and the standard 54" x 30" shower pan are actually 54" x 30" then the glass won't line up with the middle of the shower curb, which would be at ~56" x ~32". One of these standards isn't the real measurement. You know, like a 2"x4". And like all trade standards, it's only passed down verbally, apparently.

Yeah...I'm still not too clear on it. If you're using a shower kit, which I'll assume is just the walls of the shower, does it have mounting instructions with the dimensions it requires? You don't need to be in the center of the curb, which is going to be a few inches wide.

Beachguy,

I am using a pitch kit to make the floor. As well as the Pitch Kit for the mud on top of the PVC liner. There's no other kit for the walls etc, and certainly no instructions. Give me a little credit.

Neal,

Thanks for the link for how to measure for custom glass doors. Unfortunately, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm trying to fit a STANDARD 54" shower door and avoid the extra expense of a custom solution.

What is the ACTUAL dimensions of a 54" x 30" shower tub, from studs, to curbs? Is it actually 54" x 30" or is it a "trade size"? This is the heart of my question. I am assuming that this will fit a standard 54" shower door. But perhaps that's a bad assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed they were measuring in the center of the curb, but I still think your best bet would be to buy the glass and measure it.

Dude...I am giving you credit....just very little credit. We're trying to help you out here. You keep saying "kits" and kits come with instructions. You keep asking for dimensions of something you're not going to be using.....if that's all the information you need, then find the company that sells the 58x30 shower tub that you're not going to be using, and get the rough in dimensions from them.

Beachguy,

I am using a pitch kit to make the floor. As well as the Pitch Kit for the mud on top of the PVC liner. There's no other kit for the walls etc, and certainly no instructions. Give me a little credit.

Neal,

Thanks for the link for how to measure for custom glass doors. Unfortunately, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm trying to fit a STANDARD 54" shower door and avoid the extra expense of a custom solution.

What is the ACTUAL dimensions of a 54" x 30" shower tub, from studs, to curbs? Is it actually 54" x 30" or is it a "trade size"? This is the heart of my question. I am assuming that this will fit a standard 54" shower door. But perhaps that's a bad assumption?

hey, g.morning. coffee is good.
in this paragraph , you saytheir is no kit for walls.
if you do not water proof your walls. you WILL be riping the walls out within 2--3 years and repacing studs, and floor

http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

as far as the framing goes
frame the hole , the same size s he pan/liner you have bought
your liner should fold up the sides of the walls by 6"
the curb, is made out of 2 2x4 stacked on top of each other
the placement of the curb....next to the liner/pan
so that the sides of the liner fold up the side, just like the walls

IF..your are using a fold able liner, the corners need to be folded correctly
the fold is called a "pigs ear"

google shower plan liner instalation/ corner folding

after you have set the curb, installed, pan, installed water proofing on wall
measure your tile. >>>measure the top of our curb>>
IF. the tile is wider than the curb
on the front of the curb. add a piece of wood to make the tile work out with the curb

AGAIN>>the curb, sits, outside the pan, in front of the shower
the pan folds up the side of the curb.
you MUST!!!!!! water proof walls, curb, EVERYTHING that will come incontact with H2O

Last edited by a moderator:
you are WAY WAY over thinking

buy your shower door kit. read the instructions. youtube it!!!!

the track the door sits in can be modified to be any length you want.
common since..not bigger than 5'
if its a little shorter than 5' no big deal, the 2 doors slide beside each other
technically..the opening could be as narrow as 3'. you would never slide the door, but the kit would install

you savvy yet way??

http://www.tools4flooring.com/media...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/a/oatey-42237.jpg

Last edited:
Back