DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Help with Outside Garage Lighting

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 AM  
Afrowookie
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

In the pic, if you are talking about the black single wire next to the single white one. If I remember correctly I think it's coax cables for cable or internet. But I will check again when I go home.

nealtw Likes This 
Old 06-27-2017, 10:21 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2836 Times on 2490 Posts
Likes Given: 4675

Some one was making sure the red wire was not being used. we can see just the end of it on both sides here.
So there is another junction with this wire to the shinny cable that goes to the garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	afwo 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	14209  

Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 AM  
Afrowookie
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Hey all I am back again with good news. I finally fixed my problem, well at least found a solution anyways to my goal which was to get exterior garage lights working again and being able to control them from inside my house.

Here is what I did.

I had to open up the wall between the non-working receptacle(where the ext garage lights were wired to) and the next receptacle (working) with a stud in between. Then added romex between those two receps and thus providing power to the non-working one. BAM! I have power to the recep and to the lights.

But now my lights always stay on, so my solution to have control over them inside my house was getting these items and installing them.

SS13A Slimline Switch Decorator White
https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automat...ess/ss13a.html

LM15A Socket Rocket Screw-In Lamp Module
https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automat...les/lm15a.html

TM751 Wireless Transceiver Module
https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automat...ers/tm751.html

So after all this time, I actually haven't fixed the wiring from my house to the garage, and at this point I am not going to be bothered spending any more time or money to fix this issue because my original issue of getting lights working has been solved.

I would like to thank everyone who provided insight, advice and any help at all. I have learned a whole bunch and am now more confident in dealing with electrical around the house.

Lastly, I apologize for the long-*** thread because of my lack of knowledge. I know it was commented on a couple of times.

Last edited by Afrowookie; 07-24-2017 at 07:44 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1096 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 1797

Hey, sometimes that's how it has to work.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 95

SNS I am with you on this one. 273 replies later; Wow!

Afrowookie I am really glad you solved your issue. Just understand that if we (one of us) were able to actually be there and examine personally the situation we may have been able to solve this sooner than you. "Words" sometimes instead of personal examination just complicates things.

Sorry I could not have been more of to you.

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!

Last edited by afjes_2016; 08-01-2017 at 03:51 PM.