Air compressor and tools recs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner who is pretty serious about doing a nice job on my home projects. I like good quality tools but don't want to go overboard on these if I don't need to:

Compressor (for nailing and maybe spraying or airbrush but the latter two are very low secondary uses)

Nail gun/brad nailer (mostly for base molding--maybe some small crown later. I know for sure I need to shoot 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 for my base (thru 9/16 inch base, 1/2 drywall to studs/plate).

So, what brands and or models? Thanks!

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I bought from Home Depot that came with a brad and finish nailer and stapler on sale for like $250. It will also run a framing nailer. As for running air tools I don't know but I would think you would need something bigger.

Porter cable is a good brand. Keep in your not gonna use hard it every day. I've used an electric compressor for years. Don't recommend them for roofing guns. Good roofers kill them pretty quick. Walk into any big box and paruse the tool aisles. Always gets me excited.

Porter-cable dual tank portable will fit the bill here, those single tanks won't run a spray gun very well or at least none of the ones I have owned .

That Porter Cable pancake compressor is gonna be loud as hell...so if that's an issue for you, look elsewhere.

I have found most of the small portable ones make quite a bit of noise.

Back