need help with cove cut angles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texasguy

Reaction score
Help!!! I am attempting to install crown molding (38 degree) to a cathedral ceiling and I can’t seem to be able to figure out the angles for the corners where the side walls meet the end walls.
The ceiling goes up at a 10 degree angle along the end walls.
Adding to my troubles is the fact that I am mathematically challenged.
I have a 10" sliding compound miter saw, but havn't used it much up till now.
Can anyone offer any advice? (Other than to hire someone to come in and install the molding?)

Thanks in advance

You have to turn the corner at 90 degrees, then you can miter the face to get your 10 degree vault angle. so you will have side piece down the wall, a transitional piece, then your vault piece. The transitional piece will be cut to a point on the top. Experiment with short pieces first. Get an idea of what to do before you nail anything.

_/ /
/\/

(Pitiful drawing) You will have to raise the side wall crown to match the end wall crown.

Got that on my bookmarks and forgot all about it. Gary's site is very useful.

Someday, I may have TxBuilder to host a site like that for me to play on!:D

I just can't figure out a way to do the outside corner either. Pendants aren't bad, they just break up an otherwise smooth job when you only have one or two.

Hi TexasGuy:
You can use 2 short pieces for a trial run. Lay one piece up on one side and mark lightly along the top of it, lay up the other piece and mark along the top of it. X marks the spot for the top cut on each one. Now for the bottom of the cut; Lay up one piece against the ceiling and the other up against it as if you were going to nail it, make a tick mark on the outer edge of the upper piece, repeat that with the pieces reversed. Now connect the top mark to the bottom mark and make your cut. If the short pieces work, the regular pieces should be a whiz.
Glenn

Back