How to Paint over Damaged Roof Wood?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul678

Reaction score
I'm about to paint the inside faces of my fascia boards (I believe that's the correct term), because only the outside faces were painted, and I was told painting the insides will help with water damage a little.

But as you can see in the pics, there are areas of the roofing that are damaged, I believe from water.

Should I simply remove and cut off the loose wood, and then paint over it completely? Or should i treat it with something else first, like some kind of wood filler, and then paint over that?

Thanks for any advice!

album-72157667820429106

album-72157667820429106

That appears to be the underside of the roof sheeting, it should be replaced but that would require a roof repair too.

Soffits would just hide it.
The problem would be soft if walked on.
The temp fix would be to paint it with end grain treatment to kill any rot and then cover it with a 2x4 and screw that to the rafters any way but up.

Soffits would just hide it.
The problem would be soft if walked on.
The temp fix would be to paint it with end grain treatment to kill any rot and then cover it with a 2x4 and screw that to the rafters any way but up.

Well, i just coated the roof with elastomeric coating, so replacing this roof sheet is not really something I want to do at this point.

Is this the end grain treatment you are talking about?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...e/sd3176/Ensele+End+Grain+Treatment+1L/p32693

I should be able to get this at Home Depot, right?

How about just painting over the end grain treatment after it is dry?

Yes that is the product and you can paint on it when it is dry just like treated lumber.
I suggested something under it because someone walking above could break thru and to seal it off from insects.

Yes that is the product and you can paint on it when it is dry just like treated lumber.
I suggested something under it because someone walking above could break thru and to seal it off from insects.

This damage is close to the edge of the roof, so it's not likely someone
will step on them, but your point is well taken.

Thanks for the advice. I might try the end grain treatment, and then paint over that.

Back