anyone tried the tv behind 2 way mirror deal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philphine

don't give him tools!!!
Reaction score
i wasn't sure if this should have been asked in the electrical or walls and ceiling section, so this is the happy medium.

i've been thinking about it lately since i found a big picture frame. just wondering if anyones tried it. (ignore the price, got it at a half off sale)

interors001-1.jpg

the thing i'm wondering about is, even though it's a big frame, there's only enought depth for the mirror with about 1/4" left. the tv's i've been looking at just to get an idea of what i need are in the 3-5" thick range for a full 52" to match the frame opening. more than likely i'd go for a smaller tv in one corner or centered since a 52" is well out my price range, especially for an experiment. smaller tv's get closer to about 3" thick. i've been looking at some youtubes and web searches and see two ways it's done. either a really expensive thin monitor, or cut an inset in the wall for the tv.

for the moment i'm thinking add a 2x4 frame behind the actual frame, but that would only give me about 2" (including the 1/4" or so from the frame it's self), or turn the wood sideways, but that would have the frame stick out from the wall a little too un-naturaly i think.

i'm just not sure i want to go as far and cutting into my wall. so anyone tried this and have a better solution? thanks.

If I understand you correctly, there will be some light attenuation going through the mirror which may reduce the TV's apparent contrast and brightness.

If you box the TV, keep cooling in mind. They want the glass as close to the TV as possible with out touching it.

Yes, use a fan at the far end of a duct to keep the fan noise down. The TV reliability depends on free air circulation due to convection currents.

thanks, i've kinda let the idea go already. i like the frame and want a mirror for the room anyway, so i'll go that far and leave the tv out of it. at least for now. maybe i'll get a flash of inspiration later.

well, it's not back on a front burner, but i think i'm finding a decent recipe.

just in "keeping an eye out" mode now, and found out two things.

i was thinking the "2" side of a 2x4 wouldn't give me enough clearance to not cut into a wall, and the "4" side would stick out too much (trying to plane something down isn't an option for me), but i only recently found out there are 2x3's, which may be a happy enough medium.

also just walking through store tv sections when i'm out, i found a regular priced tv line that advertises how thin their tv's are, vizio razor. the smallest sizes are fairly well under 2", and the larger ones, even a 52", are just over 2".

either way i still couldn't afford a 52", but if i get more serious about the project i might be able to get something in the 30's or so inch range. i think i could work out the venting a little easier with a smaller screen too.

so i'm just building mentaly for right now, but since this is the tv deal season, i'm watching to see if something that'll work for me goes on sale too, 'cause i guess i'll have to have the tv to know what i need to do to the frame.

Back