Asbestos worry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jules2012

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined so not really sure where to post this. Basically I just found out that we used to have Asbestos in the roof of our boiler room and my brother and dad took it down about 25 years ago. Apparently my dad knew it was Asbestos and thought if my brother was going to be in there a lot they should take it down. From what I've read though it's the disturbing of the Asbestos and the subsequent dust that is more of a problem than just the Asbestos being there. Unfortunately I can't ask my dad about it now as he's passed away so I have no idea what he did with the Asbestos, probably dumped it somewhere-though back 25years ago there probably weren't so many regulations about getting a professional in and getting rid of the Asbestos safely.

Anyway my question is- is there still a threat from 25 years ago? I go into the room on a regular basis and only just found out there used to be Asbestos there and I know the dust can't be seen and hangs around for years. Also, could my brother now have a health risk as he took down the Asbestos in the room and also took down with my other brother my grandfather's shed full of Asbestos about 10 years ago. Also have no idea where they dumped that Asbestos either. Maybe I'm being over cautious but it seems pretty irresponsible of them and something to worry about right? Not that I can do anything about it now.

Hope someone can answer, thanks.

Apparently no one knows the answer to your question.

"The typical mesothelioma latency period is 20 to 50 years, with recent studies finding a median of 30 to 45 years. The shortest possible latency period is 10 to 15 years, while the longest is more than 50 years. Because of this long time span and because most people are exposed to asbestos as young adults or older, most of those who are diagnosed with mesothelioma and other asbestos-related disease are in their 60s or 70. Those diagnoses come after symptoms of the disease – a persistent cough or difficulty breathing – become nagging or debilitating."

The "good" news is that in the US in your 60s or 70s you only have about 15 years to live, anyway (depending on what mortality table you use).

You might be able to find a link correlating short exposure times (a few days in your example) to the likelihood of later mesothelioma.

The cell damage that asbestos does is on the molecular level and maybe someday they will have tests that can immediately determine this damage and its extent.

http://books.google.com/books?id=my...risk ropeik "wonder that asbestos is"&f=false

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think getting the air tested is a good idea.

I got age 78 on the life expectancy. To be honest I don't mind dying early but I'm a bit worried about my brothers since one of them was only around 10 when first exposed to Asbestos and then in his 20s when removing the other Asbestos from the shed. They both smoke and we have a history of cancer in our family (mum had it, dad died of it and other family members had it also). My grandad died of lung cancer and I'm thinking it was possibly brought on by the Asbestos in his shed although he did used to smoke but quit back in his 30s so hadn't smoked for decades when he got lung cancer.

I'm 24 and a woman. That second link tells you how many years you have left, in which case about 57 years but of course that's not so personalized as I didn't answer any questions about my lifestyle. The first calculated what age I'm expected to live to based on how healthy I am, family medical history etc. which came up with age 78-don't think that's particularly old though. Anyway, what has that got to do with Asbestos...

The table, which includes women who smoke, gives you till 83. If you survive all the hazards between now and then, you get to live to 90 (with 50-50 certainty).
A table that splits out women smokers from women non-smokers may give you more.
Asbestos danger for you may be down in the noise and the calculator implied there are much worse hazards (from the questions they asked).

BTW, the table gives me a 1% chance of dying within a year and a 1% chance of living to be 100.

Last edited:
BTW, the table gives me a 1% chance of dying within a year and a 1% chance of living to be 100.
So you're one of those 1%ers.

Back