Worms and plants popping up from floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple D

Reaction score
We have a 1989 house that is slab on grade, but not a monolithic pour. So there is a gap all around exterior walls where slab and foundation meet. There is dirt and sometimes the occasional 12" sprout, that shows up in a day in this crack. It's as if the slab shrunk away from the foundation. I am going to scrape and shop vac and wash these cracks, then dry thoroughly. My question is what would be best for filling these cracks? A flexible caulk type sealer, or a hard concrete or epoxy product? Thanks for all input on this one.....

I would go with a silicon caulk. It will give the best seal and apply the easiest. it wont last for ever but you know it will work. such a small concrete will be hard to fill the crack, make a mess, and will probably crack over time.

You have, likely, what they call around here a floating slab. The gap is deliberate. No need to seal it. Shop vac out the dirt so nothing grows and go have a beverage. No need to add to your expense or trouble.

Hello Dan:
I would recommend a foam cord for filler in the crack and top it off with silicone caulk. It will give you a seal and retain the expansion joint which is very improtant.
BTW, I know of the 4 D's in your neck of the woods. One of them is my sister.
Glenn

I was hoping for something along those lines. I will clean, foam rope pack, then caulk. I hope this will also prevent moisture damage to edges of future hardwood floors that the wife wants in these rooms. Today we got our new camera, I think I will build a photo gallery so you all can see the things I do for work. Thanks again......

Back