Replacing a vanity?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestBentley

Reaction score
How easy or hard is it to remove a vanity w/sink and replace it? Is it just a matter of turning off water and unhooked pipes? What about putting in a recessed/inserted type medicine cabinet? Just make the hole and put it in, screw in place?

How easy or hard is it to remove a vanity w/sink and replace it? Is it just a matter of turning off water and unhooked pipes?
If it is the same size yah turn off water and disconnect plumbing, reomve sink,remove top, remove vanity install new vanity, install counter top install sink hook up plumbing and your good to go. You may face a few details while doing this and alot has to do with what your putting in there.
1- Is the vanity cabinet all one piece?
2-Is there a new sink and taps or the same ones( you will need new supply lines no mater what) or is it one of those tops that the sink is molded into the top
3- Got a picture of the old one and the new one?
What about putting in a recessed/inserted type medicine cabinet? Just make the hole and put it in, screw in place?
This realy depends on the size, if it is sized to fit in between two studs ( 14-1/2"" wide then yah cut the whole and install but again do you have a picture of it? It is possible you might find a wire or plumbing in there and you will have to deal with that if it is the case. If the medicine cabinet is going directly over the sink( centered) you could very well find the vent pipe so do some investigating before cutting into the wall.

I don't have pics of the old vanity.. we haven't purchased the new stuff at all yet (we're going to Lowes this weekend to stock up on some stuff).

I think the sink is separate from the cabinet, but purchased in the same "kit" - can't tell from online descriptions. I think it's the same size cabinet because it's almost the smallest out there... here is an example of something *like* what I want to buy: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=132135-444-C14024A&lpage=none
The current cabinet looks the same, a little counter space (if you can call it that) on either side of the sink and two small doors in front.

We're actually probably replacing the drywall where the medicine cabinet is going up, we pulled this old thing off:
OldMedicineCabinet.jpg

There are some wires but we can't tell if they go down or across (across would bring them around the corner to the switches they used). So we may be able to leave that section un-drywalled. The one I had in mind is this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=23881-336-X4311&lpage=none
It appears to be sized to fit between the studs, 14" W.

The Vanity in the pic has a solid suface with a molded sink. Not a problem anyway but you will want to attach the water lines to the taps first ( much easier).
Check the medicine cabinet to see if it has any kind of flange around it, you are going to want to finish the opening fairly close if is doesn't.

Back