Garage floor coating

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredartic

Reaction score
What do you put on your garage floor as coating? Epoxy? Sealer? Tiles? Paint? And do you recommand it or not? Which product is the best and cheaper?

Thanks

I may not have any solutions for your but, how old is the concrete and does it have oil stains and such. Do you park a car in it or are you using it for other stuff?

I am about to apply an epoxy coating to a garage in the next few weeks. It is highly durable and stain resistant. You can include skid resistant chips for safety or "the look."

You MUST make sure the floor is totally free of oil, so prep is a must. Clean it, degrease it, and etch it to get the best bond.

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/?gclid=CIHr7_bY0rYCFaR_QgodFgYA9A

Some guys will pre-mix the Part A in a bucket to ensure color uniformity. Then, they mix the Part A and B into a separate bucket. Here is a typical application process:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oo3YnM6auI[/ame]

HAVE FUN!

My garage floor has 10 years. Of course, there is some spot of oil or rust stains and there is some cracks around the drain. I used it to park my ATV, to store garden stuff and for little works. I like the Epoxy finish but I don t want to spend too much.

If you're into cheap, epoxy isn't the way to go--way too expensive. The previous owner used an oil-based floor enamel on my shop floor, and it's holding up quite well (despite not liking welding slag burns, and concentrated grinder sparks). It can also be extremely slippery under the right (or actually, wrong) conditions, such as sawdust or wax shavings building up. I personally don't care for typical concrete floor paints, as most I've seen have adhesion problems after a while.

To protect the underside of my car I use that large rubber mats sold at most large hardware chains. They do not allow moisture from the ground to rise up into the under carriage and are mold resistant and if you car leaks the stains wipe right up.

I used the Quikrete epoxy finish on my Garage floor about 2 years ago. My home is about 35 years old and up to that point, had never had any coating on the floor. There were a few stains from the previous owners that I tried to get up with the acid included in the kit. I even went and bought extra acid and cleaned the floor two additional times.

Needless to say, the epoxy in those areas chipped pretty bad. Also, I have a rolling chair at my workbench and the epoxy coating has started to come up in that area as well. Just something to be aware of before putting it down.

And remember, you can never get your garage floor too clean!

I recently did some research for my garage and ended up doing an epoxy coating which I'm very happy with. I did find a place called All Garage Floors that has information on all kinds of garage flooring which I found very helpful.

What ever you decide to go with, I've learned that cheap flooring just gets you cheap results. The time and effort that you spend redoing a flooring of choice isn't worth it to save a few bucks.

Use epoxy paint is best for garage floor coat. Before begin painting, sweep and clean the floor to remove stains with water and bleach mixture. Spray the cleaner on the stains and then scrub the stain using brush.
Once the floor is clean and dry then repair all cracks. After then apply primer coat a long handled paint roller. Allow the primer to dry for at least few hours before applying the paint on the floor.

we do this work professionally & always diamond grind the conc 1st,,, we then install the epoxy base coat, allow it to cure, then apply a urethane top coat to protect the epoxy,,, IF client wants chips, they're broadcast into the wet epoxy

Latest posts

Back