Mystery lock, please help!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys

i am having real trouble finding a replacement lock for an old metal shop front door. if any1 has any ideas please let me know....

It looks like and old mortice lock, bronze colour, i am trying to get some photos to upload

the details i have of this lock:

face plate: 100mm long x 20mm wide, 1 deadbolt, 2 screws(1top, 1bottom) it looks like it says whampton and A56
side case:55mm deep x 75mm long, 2 screws on the side as well as the letter W and 56
backset: 32.5mm andthing near would be ok.

all other locks i've found that resemble this one have always been different sizes, any ideas would be great...........

Mystery lock photo1.jpg

Mystery lock photo2.jpg

Mystery lock photo3.jpg

Yep, its a mortise lock. I haven't seen one for years, I don't think they make them anymore. Your best bet would be a dealer in used and antique building materials or an old locksmith's junk box.

Glenn

There is a company called Van Dyke's Restorers (www.vandykes.com) that carries both interior and exterior mortise locks as well as other replacement parts for old houses. I think they also have a free catalog.

this is a mortise lock.what is the problem?do u just need a key?is it no longer working?a new one will be impossible to find.mortise locks are not manufactured except for a few uses now.some locksmiths do try to repair them by welding parts together if they are weldable.if you dont want to change the door you can some times get a welder to remove the old lockbox and install a more modern box that will accept a more modern lock.i have found that salvage places have some but the locks are worn out or total wreck.

Back