leaky windows/ attic frost

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstearns

Reaction score
I live in central MN and we've had below zero temperatures for quite some time now. Yesterday, it finally warmed up and noticed water leaking from my front windows. There's a covered porch outside the windows and thought that might have something to do with it....I removed a strip of the soffit from the porch ceiling and took some pictures of the attic/roof space. I found snow and frost up there and don't know where to go from here, please help! pictures are attached. Thanks!

1-31-09 063.jpg

1-31-09 059.jpg

You have a condensation issue. Your building is either not insulated good enough, has a venting issue and possibly a vent fan expelling water into the attic.
To get a really good answer to your situation, get a Home inspector out there for an evaluation. A good contractor or really good roofer may also be able to give you sage advice. Try American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI for a reputable inspector.
You need to get your fan and bath vents to the exterior, and you need to insulate for r-50 in your area with no penetrations.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

Back