how low can you go?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike9825

gearhead
Reaction score
hey guys, simple question. how low can you turn your furnace without freezing your water lines? i've read 55, you experts agree? -Mike-

Hey Mike:
Most thermostats don't go much lower than 55 degrees but, if the furnace and thermostat are working well togather, nothing should freeze. The furnace should maintain 55 and water doesn't freeze until 32.
A few tips to go along with the 55:
keep cabinet and vanity doors open
keep all interior doors open for full air movement
Keep the fan on, at a low speed, to keep the air mixed and regulate the temp.
If you are leaving the house for a while, turn the main water supply off; don't forget to turn the water heater off too. You could leave the pilot light running on a gas water heater. It is not that I think the water lines would freeze at the 55 but there could be a power failure and the thermostat would not have anything to say about it.
Glenn

hey glenn, thanks for the info. even if we had a power failure in the house, our thermostat is battery operated so it stays on until the batteries run dead.

I'd imagine too you would want to run a dehumidifier to prevent excess moisture from building up right? -Mike-

Yes, you could; but only if you have a moisture problem. I suspect that when you get the other things working, there won't be any problem.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back