replacement windows save energy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John7447

Reaction score
I feel new windows are one of the best ways to save on heating and cooling
bills.Over 60 percent of our customers select triple pane over double pane.
________________________________________________________-
http://www.ushomewindows.com replacement windows Ma
http://ushomewindows.com window replacement ma

I didnt think triple plane was that popular. how much thicker is the window frame?

No window is really good since it is still just a hole in the wall. Triple glazed are better than double, but still loos a lot of heat in comparison to a wall. Measuring the R-value of a window is rediculous since it does not consider the radiant heat loss.

Many folks have been dupped by vinyl window salesmen. At least half of them could have achieved equal or better results per dollar with storm windows and caulking.
Glenn

No window is really good since it is still just a hole in the wall. Triple glazed are better than double, but still loos a lot of heat in comparison to a wall. Measuring the R-value of a window is rediculous since it does not consider the radiant heat loss.

True....However, a house with no windows doesn't allow any light causing the H/O to run the electricity bill higher with all the lights. My house has very few windows. On the heating and cooling side, it works, but with the lack of natural light we almost always need a light on even in the middle of the day.

It's always the same question, do I get new replacement windows or not. Am I being duped or not is a question you need to figure out by researching your options.

Replacement windows are a good option when all others have been done. Insulating your attic, sealing off attic hatchways and pull down staircases for winter, and weatherstripping always give you more than installing replacement windows. Unless they are falling out and have damage, I would paint and install some weatherstripping and caulk.Last resort would be storms windows as Glenn suggests.
My suggestion is to leave it until you have enough money to change the entire window assembly and upgrade the insulation surrounding the window unit. You can also seal the exterior and fix any head flashing issues. This does not always get done with replacement windows correctly. When I do thermal imaging, it shows up right away.
I'm not a big fan of replacement windows unless...they are done by a competent installer and those are hard to find.

It all really comes down to finding a great installer, every time for everything.

Sounds like you are one of those folks, I can say that because you are here taking your time to explain things.:)

Storm windows will do little if any help on radiant heat loss ,tests show aluminum storms pull heat out of your house.They were invented in the 1960s
when heating oil was 10 cents a gallon,they were a convenient innovation over the old wooden storm windows they replaced,the old wooden storms were more efficient.New windows are only a part of a plan to make your home energy efficient,but a large part.I have written a blog on replacement windows that might help.

i have an old home with old storm windows I was thinking about replacing the storms with new ones. but will that be any better than what i have

Only a little bit new storm windows will be clear glass your old storms I am sure have ground in dirt in the old sheet glass that wont wash off.New storm
windows will operate better.

Back