Run new drain through or around slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeninCharlotte

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 20 yr. old house in SW Charlotte. It was bigger than the house I moved from in Wake Forest so I didn't think space was going to be a huge issue.

After a year of settling in, we've decided we don't like having the laundry closet right off the main kitchen for a number of reasons. We have 2 options we're considering. 1. Moving the laundry rm upstairs. and 2. Moving it to the back of the garage.

The water heater is in the garage so we have a water source. As far as I can tell, the closest existing drain pipe is too far to access. How hard would it be to get a drain set up in that location? Would I have to go through the slab or could I go out the side of the house and into the ground there? The lot is fairly flat so I don't have a lot of slope to work with.

Thanks in Advance,

Ken

If your house is subject to freezing in winter, you cannot locate the drains on the outside walls.

You really need a local plumber to assist you with how of if it is possible to move your laundry.

:) Hello Ken:
Yes, you can go outside the house and around to meet up with the sewer. You should go down through the floor (maybe cut a 1'x1' hole in the floor) then go through the foundation wall with the top of the pipe 18" underground. There should be a test-tee just outside the wall. Then maintain a 1/8" per foot fall to the existing sewer. Before you begin, you should make sure the existing sewer is below ground far enough to accomidate the fall. I don't know about your local codes so it would be a good idea to check with the local authorities first.:D
Glenn

Back