Ceiling joint cracks due to lack of tape?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My house was built in the 1940s and apparently WWII had the craftsmen understandably distracted. My kitchen ceiling has a multitude of cracks consistent with the dimensions of the drywall boards used at that time. Several tradesmen agree with my belief that the joints were not taped initially.

The ceiling is not stained, warped or soft. The 2nd floor room over that space has an original hardwood floor that is in fine condition and there are no utilities in that space, so I am not concerned about water damage as a cause.

The paint is in good condition, but since there presumably was never tape there, do I need to remove the paint so that the subsequent tape/joint compound combination bonds to the original joint compound to produce an appropriate joint? I am considering using a crimped wire wheel to remove the several layers of paint from the area before I perform the repair. However, I don't want to make a mess if it really isn't necessary.

All comments appreciated.

I would go over the cracks with self sticking mesh drywall tape and then skim coat with compound and sand. If the ceiling has a real glossy paint I would lightly sand it with a pole sander with drywall sanding screen paper before taping. Just a little tooth is all that's required. Prime and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I would be very careful about pre-sanding or disturbing the ceiling. The original paint was most certainly leaded ... not really healthy. Minimize the disruption.

The mesh tape is the call because it is strong enough to resist any further movement. Honestly, I would skim coat the entire ceiling, including the joints because you will get a more even look PLUS you CAN sand the new joint compound to really dial it on.

Latest posts

Back