do I need a cordless screwdriver or a drill?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaospearl

Reaction score
Hi folks. Before I say anything else, let me state that I have no idea what I'm talking about, and please don't laugh at my ignorance. I know absolutely nothing about tools or home repair, so if you are kind enough to answer my questions, don't assume that I have any familiarity whatsoever with even the most basic DIY terminology.

I'm looking to acquire a light-weight cordless tool that I can use to do small jobs around the house, such as putting hooks into my bedroom wall to hang a shoe rack, and also little hooks around the insides of the window frames (they're varnished wood) so I can string up the holiday lights. And other similar projects. Really, the more I try to think of examples, the more it becomes apparent that nearly everything I want to do involves drilling tiny holes into walls, frames, and furniture so I can put threaded metal hooks (like these ones: Amazon.com: Ace Ceiling Hook .159 Wire Dia. 7/8 Threaded: Home & Garden ) in to hang things from or attach things to.

I normally use my father's Black & Decker cordless drill for this, but it's heavy and I'm a five foot tall woman who is physically disabled. I have advanced arthritis in my hands and shoulders which makes it difficult for me to grip tightly or reach over my head. So I thought I would try to find myself a tool that doesn't weigh a brickload so that I can stop feeling so pathetic and girly having to ask my daddy to help me because I can't lift his stupid heavy-duty drill.

I don't know for sure, but the research I've been able to do makes me wonder if I could get away with using a cordless screwdriver or bit driver instead of an actual cordless drill. If that's true, how powerful would it have to be?

I guess basically what I need to know is, what is the lightest weight tool I could get away with using to stick those hooks all over the house?

Well, you have a variety of options to look at. I would suggest going to the local hardware store and looking at the selection avaviable. There you can pick up the display units and see which one feels best and is in the price range you are comfortable with. Look for one with a keyless chuck, this makes bits changes a lot easier.

If you are going to use this infrequently I'd also suggest buying a corded model as the batteries when not used on a regular basis tend to not hold charges as well as they should.

...and welcome to House Repair Talk.

Good morning, Pearl, let me give you my two cents. I'm Ray the Hammer and I'm a 6'3" 220 pound blacksmith and I don't like to use big drills for the type of things you are doing, even though I can. That being said, I also work at Home Depot and I get asked variations on this question all the time.
You need to look at the newer line of 12 volt lithium drills that most manufacturers have out now; they are lighter, charge faster, and don't discharge when not in use, so it will be ready when you need it. Pop into a store, pick one up, and see how it feels.
I think you'll find one that will work for you. Prices range from about 70 up to about 150 bucks depending on which one you buy. I own three different versions by Milwaukee and Ridgid, which are at the upper end, but there are less expensive models out there.
You are paying more for the battery technology with lithium over other types, but the benefits will be evident the first time you use it.
Hopefully this helps.
The Hammer

Chaospearl - For small things I really like some of the newer small cordless tools from Boasch, Milwalkee and Porter Cable.

41-3oN7xQoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Bosch PS30-2A 12-Volt Max 3/8-Inch Drill Driver: Home Improvement

41w93ryJIrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2410-22 M12 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver: Home Improvement

41jFc-NA7lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: PORTER-CABLE PCL120DDC-2 12-Volt Max Compact Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver: Home Improvement

I have the porter cable and the cohost of my show, Handyguy Paul, has the Bosch. Yes, there are much more capable drills but for what you need these little gems are really nice.

Handyguy Brian

Nothing wrong with the tools mentioned but also go to Home Depot and look at the Ryobi brand of smaller tools. There 1/2 the price of the other ones and the batteries also cost 1/2 as much to replace.

Back