Need help with switched outlets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glasshut

Reaction score
We have two outlets (one of each side of the sofa) in the room operated by one switch. The top outlets on both are controlled by the switch. The bottom outlets in both are always hot.

My husband changed the outlets and switch and now the switch does not operate anything. All outlets are always hot. He says he wired them the same way they were....but obviously not :rolleyes:.

Can you help us?

He missed one step, he wired two black wires to the two brass screws. there is a little a little tab that joins the two screws, that little tab needs to be broke out and then the switch will control one.
And welcome to the site.

Take a close look at the difference on the side of the old outlet compared to the one you installed.
And yes, welcome to the site :beer:

Umm can't see anything joining the screws on either the old switch or the new. That area is covered by a shield (box) that is riveted in place, so can't see between the screws. The only thing sticking out are the screws themselves. ( I know what you mean though about the link between the screws, we just can't get to it without tearing up the switch.)

P.S. Thanks for the welcome. Finding so many interesting things. Hubby may be sorry after I tell him all the diy stuff I'm finding.

The link is not on the switch. It is on the receptacle. Perhaps you need to buy a better quality receptacle that will allow you to break the tab. The ones for less that $1.00 are cheap garbage.

Watch this simple video ... He works VERY fast but he indicates the tab was cut to create a separate 1/2 hot and always hot situation.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7_TSFhpV3E[/ame]

Here are two pics showing the BRASS side of the receptacle where the tab needs to be broken:

Recep Tab.jpg

RECEP TAB 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back