Painting over established beadboard

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryellen

Reaction score
I have wooden beadboard halfway up all around a room that is painted RED.
I want to repaint it a lighter color. What is the best way to proceed?

Lightly sand the existing surface, prime the surface with a stain blocker (i.e.- Kilz, Zinnzer (popular brands)) and then repaint using two coats of the lighter color.

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

I have a friend who's a painting contractor and he always tells me the 3 things to have before paint is 1. clean 2. dull 3. dry. Remove any greasy residue on the surface, sand to knock off the sheen for better adhesion and make sure the area is dry.

Sherman-Williams or Porter Paints make a primmer to cover for color changes that they will tint to the wall color, then get a good quality top coat. I personally don't buy paint from the Big Box Stores. Remember, prep is the most important part of any painting job.

There are high quality paints that will completely cover BLACK in one coat. They are around $40 a gallon, but worth the price for 1 coat coverage.

Also when painting bead board, especially if you're using a roller or foam brush, make certain to use a bristle brush to brush out along the v-bead to keep a nice clean line. Small runs that dry in the grooves can be a pain to remove.

There are high quality paints that will completely cover BLACK in one coat. They are around $40 a gallon, but worth the price for 1 coat coverage.

Really? Please name exactly ONE:hide:

Back