How to force forced air ducts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelsfamily

Reaction score
We have a home built in 1917 that has forced air heat but it doesnt extend to the second floor. Is there any way to get duct work upstairs in the walls.we can & are going to sheet rock the walls but the one I need to use is a load bearing wall. Can I get a duct in it without ruining its integrety? Then I could some how make a branch from that main duct in-between the floor joist th the other bedroom.Are there ducts small enough to do this & does it sound like it could work? thanks in advanve for the ideas

Happy Thanksgiving SamuelsFamily:
Yes there is a wall size duct made measuring 3" X 12" and they work quite well. However, that size will just carry enough heat for a small room; like 10' x12', so one run of it will not do the whole upstairs. You might consider using one per room or two in a larger room. I would also recommend at least one run for a return air. Heat and air just work better when they circulate rather than just push.
Glenn

Make sure you get an inspector out there to make sure your heating unit is sufficent to heat all that extra space. I think you can add another unit in the atic.

Latest posts

Back