Who is everyone with

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, there are still places in this country where you don't need alarm systems. I rarely even lock my house.

Yea I remember those day's. Back at grandmas house when everything was peachy. It is sad most of the country has to be careful of too many problems ...then there are the other parts of the country where you can live free or die.:D

Think I will go there soon.;)

Apparently I live in the wrong state. I have Brinks at a commercial property of mine, and it is easy. They call when the alarm goes off. Never had a real break-in though, just one accident. I like them, although I wonder if a sticker and little fake flashing light would work just as well...

Biggest problem with alarm companies is the fact that by the time they get there the deed is done! Deter the intruder before they get in! Most cases are plain and simple - kick in the door and proceed . Install Strikemaster II on your door jambs and it's near impossible to kick the door in! If entry cannot be accomplished within a few seconds this person will move on to another home. Cost about $125.00 to do one door and cost goes down in multiples. Most cases homeowner can install pretty easily. I've installed several for my customers. On line product google "Strikemaster II" think the website is www.asaferhome.com.

I have a cheap solution. Simply don't own anything of value and make sure you have some type of insurance! If they get your $150 TV, you get a new one. You were going to get a new one anyway, weren't you?

I figure, if they want to get in bad enough, they're going to get in. We do dead bolts, but with key bumping, there's a good chance those are weak anyway.

I tried the x10 device route, but something's weird with our wiring "phases" or something. They don't work everywhere. They do save us time in going out to turn the Xmas lights on and off, though!

Smith & Wesson!!!

I miss leaving the doors unlocked. I grew up in central Nebraska, where my dad still leaves the house unlocked (doesnt even know where the key is), the shop and machine shed wide open, and keys in all vehicles (car, truck, semi, tractors, motorcycle) and he lives along the highway. I used to live in the town back there and never locked anything. still have stuff stored in my old garage back there(no one lives in the house) and nothing has been touched in 2 years with no locks on the doors. Omaha you have to be slightly more careful, but its still pretty good.

there's no system that beats sonitrol,,, even adt has a couple of the franchises,,, they pay for false alarms, can actually listen, in real time' to what's happening inside & compare the activity to pre-alarm conditions, & can/will ' pipe ' activity to police,,, depending on what you have to protect, there's none better [no financial interest - we just have it ! ]

Latest posts

Back