New house with 10 lbs. underlay, but doesn't feel like it

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallen33

Reaction score
We're building a new house, and the carpet was just put in a few days ago. We asked for 10 lbs. underlay because we want something that feels really nice, and will last longer.

We walked on it a day after it was installed, and it felt really flat. The show home had 8 lbs. underlay, and it felt much nicer. Same carpet in both.

The builder is telling us that it is 10 lbs. underlay, and that this is normal. It can take a while for the underlay to "expand" as it was in a tight roll when they installed it.

Does that make sense? Or are they b.s.'ing me?

The more weight to a pad, the stiffer it is. 10lb is a little denser and therefore stiffer than 8 lb. Neither one will feel cushiony. That being said, it expanded completely, soon after it was installed. A 6 lb is much more comfortable to walk on. How thick is the pad, 1/4" or 3/8" ? (weight has nothing to do with thickness).

Appears my understanding of underlay was wrong. 10 lbs is firmer, but will last longer.

I'm surprised that the salesperson didn't explain the difference. Very few consumers would know.

I too am surprised the sales person didn't have you step on both choices to feel the difference. If you wanted softer, shoulda gone with 6 lb. It used to customary to use #6 on the main floors and #8 on steps.

Jaz

Back