Stumper - Architectural Shingle Install

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
Bet I'll stump everyone. We have a roof to cover with left over Domain Winslow random architectural shingles. (Elk Corp) They are supposed to look "random" so the shingles have 3 or 4 tabs or? I called the mfgr and their customer service people ran out of the room.

I have a double starter course down already. What I think I will do is take each shingle out of the package in sequence across the roof. But, Course #2 is a problem because cutting 8" off (as instructed) leaves a sliver of a tab remaining. Seems wrong to me. Also, the seams appear to be uncovered in places.

How do I apply the next few courses?

On that type shingle it is REAL important that you use the proper starters. You cut 4-8-16" off the end of the shingle, if you are ending up with a small part of the tab, what side are you cutting off? For those type shingles they will only work if you follow the directions to the letter.

They look really nice, have a unique look, but I see more misapplied than installed correctly. Staircase them so you will get a better blend, don't run the whole course horizonal then start the next course. Work up the roof at a diagional.

Back