Moisture Under Linoleum Floor in Bathroom?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelaSteele5

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would like some opinions on this situation with our bathroom floor. A couple of years or so ago, we noticed a small spot of gray discoloration about the size of a quarter in the flooring. We didn't have any leaks, so we ignored it. Very slowly, over the past couple of years, it has grown to what you see in the picture. Also, around the base of our toilet, there are some very small 'blob' looking spots that look like a very light grayish color --- we're assuming that maybe the wax ring has been failing at some point? It's about 4-5 years old, I believe. We've had 2 contractors come out. One of them said that this discoloration isn't under the flooring, but rather "in it", but that doesn't sound right. We've tried everything we can think of to scrub with and try to get this stain out, and nothing works - which leads us to believe it's under the flooring. Even after we told him that, he didn't change his mind. And he also said that as far as the discoloration in the floor around the bottom of our toilet, he said that that was "normal" for wax rings to turn black over time and that you can see that under your flooring and it was nothing to worry about. That doesn't sound right to me. All opinions welcome. Thanks!

floor.jpg

Send that "contractor" away ... This is clearly a moisture intrusion problem. Yes, I would change out the wax ring ... but the flooring cannot be fixed. The stain is permanent. The stain in the corner looks like it is next to your tub. SURPRISE! You are probably getting water down the outside of the tub and it has accumulated under the flooring too.

Solutions:

1. Remove flooring
2. Change out wax ring
3. Install a sliding shower door set (assuming you have a shower) to stop leakage
4. Replace new flooring

Should take a weekend ... Have fun

Latest posts

Back