Old, Cracked Slab, No Footings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake.h

Reaction score
Hi!

This is my first post on this forum and I am hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I have an old garage, built in the 40's or 50's, about 18' by 18'. It appears to be a slab with the garage built right on top. The garage itself appears solid. There is a buckling upwards of the concrete flooring in the middle of the garage. It appears to be directly due to the fact that there was a tree (now a stump - about 18" or so in diameter) growing right against the back wall of the garage. I don't think the soil is bad.

I would like to repair the floor and I am considering having someone:

Cut the concrete near the wall, then rebar new interior concrete to the original, but now relatively thin (maybe 6-10"), slab under the walls

or

Cut out the bad area (6'x6') and fill in with new concrete.

Any suggestions? I don't want the damn thing to fall down. I am also worried about pulling the stump and/or the gradual decay of the root system, which is obviously under the garage...

Thanks!

Welcome Jake:
Personally, I would go with the 6 X 6 repair. You might consider burning the stump if it is not too close to combustible parts of the garage.
Glenn

Back