Kitchen Can Lights, How Many?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installing in kitchen, not a fast process for a first time tile layer.

Jan 2013 Tile 054.jpg

Jan 2013 Tile 050.jpg

Jan 2013 Tile 051.jpg

It took about four days (between Bowl Games) since starting.

First picture is east wall before grouting.

Pictures two and three after grouting and clean up of both walls.

What do you think?

Will need to caulk bottom of tile at counter.

Those undercounter lights really look much better!

Jan 2013 Tile 076.jpg

Jan 2013 Tile 119.jpg

Jan 2013 Tile 121.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice! I like the stone look with those cabinets, gives it an earthly feel. So wat was the aproximate costs involved for the materials you chose?

That looks really nice! I like the stone look with those cabinets, gives it an earthly feel. So wat was the aproximate costs involved for the materials you chose?

Thanks inspector D! We had been searching for some time after we did the granite for a good match. Our house is not a fancy house but a comfortable place in need of some updates. We have a fireplace and this stone tile seems to go good with the Ledge Rock used there.

The stone tile was around 200 plus I needed to buy some tools, float, notched trowel, and grout sponge. Then there was thin set, stone sealer, and three containers of grout. Estimate around 300 ball park. I did have a few tiles left over.

For the price it made a big difference in the kitchen and gave it a more finished and updated look. You might find some tile at a lower price and save about half of what we spent.

Keep in mind this slate tile was around 9 dollars a square foot. We had seen tiles from 3 to 50 dollars and up per square foot. The new glass and metal tiles can go up in cost fast...

My arm was real sore last night after all that grouting and cleaning. Be careful to not try to do too much grouting in one day.

Oh yeah, add in for a few advil for sore muscles.:D

Last edited:
Tip on grouting ... I use a roll of paper towels instead of a sponge to wipe off the excess and the haze. I grout, let the haze show, then use a SLIGHTLY dampened paper towel to lightly buff off the haze. Flip it, repeat. Do it as many times as needed. No tedious sponge cleaning, getting a clean bucket of water ... etc.

The trick is to use just enough grout, to float it off as good as possible, to buff lightly. It works really well with 1/2 the work. :D

Tip on grouting ... I use a roll of paper towels instead of a sponge to wipe off the excess and the haze.
The trick is to use just enough grout, to float it off as good as possible, to buff lightly. It works really well with 1/2 the work. :D

Great idea, the slate tiles are pretty rough and not slick like a ceramic tile.

I did seal them before grout and that helped.

The length of actual time from start to finish was probably a little over ten hours total, like I said lots of football over the New Years Holiday and I was learning as I went along. A pro would have been much faster.

I may just try some floor tile.

Back