Are tensioning tools necessary to attach hvac ducts?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmr106

Reaction score
I need to change a couple of flex hose ducts. I'm pretty sure that I need to get a tensioning tool to connect the ducts to the vents, so I'm planning to buy one of those. I know that the insulation is typically pulled back to expose the duct itself and the duct is secured. How is the insulation part usually secured after that? With another nylon zip tie?

Last edited:
I use duct tape to secure both, however, I use the $12 a roll, not the $2 a roll.

The quality of the tape can be determined by the density of the fibers.

Thats the rigth stuff to tape the flex duct in place and then use a zip tie to secure the insulation.

I'm confused. Which way is it?

I see things like this where the tensioning tool companies say to tighten the nylon tie around the air duct itself, but they're vague about what to do with the outside insulation when it comes to attaching that:

ty6x1-004-big.jpg

In other places, I see where it is recommended to tape the air ducts and then put the nylon ties around the insulation.

Is it kind of an either/or thing? Which way seals the best? Taping around the air duct and a tie over the insulation?

You can use that tape or the smaller foil tape that you peel the backing off to expose the adhesive.

The tensioning tool is faster and is why it's used for production and multiple attachments.

You can use that tape or the smaller foil tape that you peel the backing off to expose the adhesive.

The tensioning tool is faster and is why it's used for production and multiple attachments.

Seems like the tape would be more airtight for connecting the duct part and the zip tie would be stronger than tape at connecting the insulation part. I think I'm going to go with that method. I have the tool anyway.

Another + to using the zip ties is, if in the future, you need to change the T-Y because you are adding another drop, you simply cut the zip ties.

Back