Need input on Jacking up house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Ron:
Another thought about the 2 X 6 joists. Years ago my Dad used a 4 X 4 blocked up at mid points of the joists which effectively shortened the span to 1/2 for him. Of course, that will only work if there is no rot or termite damage.
Glenn

Sheryl, if your cottage has no foundation at this time, you may want to inquire to a building pro regarding the mass building code. Fixing existing verses changing configurations may cause the code to come into play. you will need to inquire on the cape as there are additional hurricane ratings for wind etc... do this before you start, because any structural change requires a permit in Ma. and doing this work without a permit can cost you a BUNCH of money and headaches... good luck

I'm thinking of buying a house but there is a problem with one side of house.
Water has filter down around foundation and cause that part of house to drop
about 7 inches.From the street it looks like house is falling over.My thought is to dig under foundation in a few spots and jack it up and than pour a new footing.Is this something thats possible? Rick from Salt Lake City

That is possible, but you may be better off to replace those failed sections. It's extremely hard to get a good footing under existing work. You could easily end up with the same problem later down the road.

I was able to get in house and the floors are in bad shape.A very noticeable
slope in floors. I think maybe you are right it isn't worth the trouble to jack it
up.I think I will have other trouble when I do.Thanks on to something else.

I'm in a house that was built in 1920 on a pier and beam foundation. The house is sinking towards the middle. I'm thinking that I need to get under there and jack the main beam that runs the length of the house back up. The house is about 50' long. How many places should I jack under that main beam?

The points are already there and supported, just raise them as you need to.
Set the jack up right next to each post and either change the post or shim as needed.
Check for pest damage at this point, good time to change things.
I'm sure you have read the posts , good luck.

I used to jack camps along the waterfront and my advice is to reserch a little bit before you take on this ordeal. You should never have your house setting on just jacks. You need to insert beams 8x8 or bigger we used 12x12s. Insert the beams perpendicular to the floor joists and jack each side 3 to 6 inches at a time using 20 ton jacks. As you lift you need to build cribs for each end of the beams. These cribs support the beam and let you have a saftey incase the jacks give out. You can use 6x6 4 foot long for cribbing.

i just happened to run into this website and got a few great ideas for our old home it was built in 1907.so we do have the same problem it also is sitting on dirt...we just dont know were to being.. helpless in wyoming

Melissa,

Please post up some pictures and be prepared to spend some money to do it properly.

Do you have a structural engineer on hand or picked out?

Back