OSB vs Ply

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a chicken coop. Question is what is best for the roof, OSB or ply. I will be putting down felt then shingles. Pros and cons of both would be great. The roof area is only 10 x 10.

Follow up question is whether or not either can get set before installation.

Follow up question is whether or not either can get set before installation.

I do not understand your follow up.

Ply is more rigged and OSB will absorb moisture in the air.
If it were me and I wanted it to last I would use Advanteck.

I think he ment wet;
We use 7/16 osb it has a rough side, better to walk on, it will swell if it gets alot of rain.

I use regular plywood when I can but I always get the the felt and paper on right away:)

Neal- if the osb gets wet and swells will it dry and flatten out or is it ruined? Im afraid I have some that got wet today.

It will dry out but it will stay swelled for the most part. If you have "H" clips for joining them, just get some bigger ones. Not needed for 16" on center rafters but for 24" on center they are required. Or you can just nail a block in behind the 2 peices to stop the edges from bending when walked on. Don't forget to space them a little 1/16 sides and 1/8 ends.

OSB is for cheaper installations while ply is for better applications. That is your choice. For me, the minimum is 7/16" but if you have snow load, I'd go thicker. Since it is a coop, you can cheat because the chickens will not sue you. :D

Thanks. And if they do sue I will use them for meat!!

Back