Meter Yoke Leaking on its valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old yoke is all out now:

14221913513_b9801c1035_c.jpg

Everything seemed simple and familiar until I faced the black plastic water line pipe:

14221913883_c97eb30542_c.jpg

The previous leaking valve was held in place by the fitting making contact with flanges built into the black pipe (shown above).

It seems that the black plastic water line pipe is Polybutylene. And I would imagine that it requires some special tool recreate a flare/flange in order to connect the meter valve.

The new valve would also need such flanges, as shown below:

14221913663_5ea32ff95c_c.jpg

After a while (renewing some of the cabinet wood panel/parts), I got the following setup which now only needs to be connected to the copper side of it:

14076220829_dd3c728f64_c.jpg

I will have to rearrange the copper side of it to short its length.

A second opinion about the basic of this setup would be very welcome.

Also, even though I bough the curb key, I was unable to open the valve at the street: it seems (after looking inside the curb hole with a flashlight) that the valve is well off the center of the hole and the very elongated curb key is way too thick to be able to change its angle inside the narrow and long (5 ft) hole.

Yes I think you have to work a union on the end of the copper pipe. Not sure what you can do with the key.

Yes I think you have to work a union on the end of the copper pipe. Not sure what you can do with the key.

Thanks. Guess I will depend on the utility company to turn the water on and off at the curb. They have few curb keys to deal with that type of situation.

I also used pipe dope on all the brass threads for extra precaution. Hopefully it will work out.

You can probably return the street key to HD
Yep, I will give it a try. It has few scratches on its finishing due to navigating into this hole:

14276263612_e6f73ca351_c.jpg

I remember that the first utility worker who came over (two months ago) to open this valve and thus restore water to the house spend over 2 hours trying to open this valve, then he called another utility worker in order to help him out. The last utility worker who came over (about a week ago) who seems more knowledgeable was able to shut it off in may 15 minutes or so

I was wondering if having so many elbows at the point of entrance to the house could in any way impart flow in a negative way. Below is the pic depicting it and the final setup:

14276263522_a550b4ede2_c.jpg

Thanks for you insights!

Latest posts

Back