Concrete walls refinishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
I have large house with a small basement whose ceiling clearance is also very low. Some parts of the concrete wall seem to have its surface worn out and deteriorating, so it has some voids and weak spots as show below:

15472897893_2a482de9ee_c.jpg

I used concrete patch to fill some of smaller voids on the surface. Also at the bottom it was missing more of the aggregate (stones), so I decided to use reinforced concrete instead of concrete patch (and used a piece of lumber to hold the new concrete in place)

15512666274_4effa83ea8_c.jpg

I am not sure whether or not this approach is a good one, and I realize that it is not perfect as far as finish goes, but it look way better than before.

I realize that mortar is not quite the same thing as concrete, for most part mortar is weaker and takes longer to cure (therefore give plenty of time for the worker to spread it on many joints). But I would rather use concrete instead of mortar to refill bad/missing/weak joints. I don know if it is common practice or even acceptable to do so.

What you have is honycomb, it was there when it was new. It wasn't vibrated or what ever they did when it was done was not done properly. Not sure your helping anything but your not hurting it.
The only problem is that when it comes times to sell an inspector would look at it and say honeycomb, now he will say, I wonder what the patch was about. Keep copies of before and after photos just for him.

What you have is honycomb, it was there when it was new. It wasn't vibrated or what ever they did when it was done was not done properly. Not sure your helping anything but your not hurting it.
The only problem is that when it comes times to sell an inspector would look at it and say honeycomb, now he will say, I wonder what the patch was about. Keep copies of before and after photos just for him.

Yep, I did not know about honycomb. But the voids were not even, and on top of that is was really displeasing and ugly. From the functional perspective it would be more difficult to drill on it. Isn't a flat surface simply more pleasant and more functional?

Back