D0 I Really Need To Replace Drain Pipe?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a Trane XL15 installed in 2007. Water leak (drain pipe) problems started around 2011. The a/c runs year-round (S. FL) It does not leak all the time but seems to act up a week after annual service is done. This time (Fri&Sun) I vacuumed the water where it comes out by the air handle which seems to work better than vacuuming from outside.
Tech suggest a condensate pump (which is costly) however, if that does not fix the problem the drain pipe needs replacing.

The problem with that is, the pipe 2-1/2" from air handler bends, then bends again at 6", then goes about 3' to an inside wall, down the wall about 8-10 ', bending again and going under a 6' wide concrete tiled walkway where the pipe comes out.

Does that mean tearing out the walls and concrete?

How likely is it the pipe (32 yrs old) has some type of thick (cholesterol-like) buildup?

Appreciate any help on this problem.:help:

Before replacing I would send a camera through to see where the actual problem is, could be something simple.

Can you provide pics?? Condensate pumps are about $65 ... If you can pipe it yourself, it is the solution. However, make sure your pipes are also properly insulated. I fixed a system where the cold line was partially exposed to the moist air and a persistent drip caused wall damage. A simple addition of flexible insulation (cork tape) covered the exposed pipe and stopped the leakake due to condensation.

Here is a video which generally shows how easy it is to install a condensate pump. His English is garbled but stay with him. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YdUahUXjc[/ame]

I'm not sure how the camera idea would work. Who, besides a plumber would do this and, at what cost?

Installing or doing any repairs etc. myself would void the extended warranty which is valid for more 4 yrs.

I don't mind getting the pump put on but, if that isn't the problem, then I'm wasting a lot of money.

004 - Copy.JPG

I use compressed air to blow into the drain out side to unstop the drain which gets clogged with the dust that makes it through the filter. Mine has a floating cutoff switch to prevent the water from getting in the carpet like the one in the picture in the previous post and I can also use this for access to blow it out from inside. Mine is all pvc.

The Safe T Switch in the pic has never shut the A/C off so I don't know if it is working as it should.

working or not it's a convenient place to blow out the trash in the line.

Back