Hockey

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldognewtrick

In memory of
Reaction score
Well, training camp started yesterday here in Nashville. Any one else looking forward to the start of the coming season as much as my wife and I are? She's a converted Red Wings fan and I just like hockey. Thank goodness Hamilton didn't get our Predators.:D

Ever since we lost the Whalers I have been a bit bent...buy the Wolfpack has many good players for a nice night out to a game.
My granpapie was an o'l Bruins fan,,,guess that makes me one too.;)

I'm surprised hockey would be popular as far south as Tennessee.

I was surrounded by hockey growing up, but I just never took any interest in it except for the 1972 Canada-Russia hockey series. I was in high school then, and they allowed the whole school out to watch each game on a TV set in the auditorium as it was televised from either Moscow or wherever in Canada. (And, I expect a big part of that was that the principal and teachers were also hockey fans and wanted to watch those games.) That was the only time I was literally on the edge of my seat through a whole series of hockey games.

And, of course, there was that time at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics where both the Canadian Mens and Womens hockey teams took home he gold medal. That was a thrill.
The head ice maker at both of the two hockey arenas there was a Canadian, Trent Evans, and he buried a Canadian $1.00 coin (called a "loonie" cuz of the image of a loon on it) at center ice in the arena in Salt Lake City. (There was another in Provost, Utah that was also used for some of the venues.)

RCM_20070622-030.jpg

After the final game when the Canadian men's team won the gold, that coin was dug out of the ice and presented to Wayne Gretzky, who was the coach and general manager of the men's team. He, in turn, donated it to the Canadian Hockey Hall of Fame where it's on display. It sure caused a lot of nationalistic pride up here when we found out after all the games were over and both the Canadian Men's and Women's teams had won gold, and that coin had been put there at center ice by the Canadian doing the ice for the Olympics.

You guys put on a great Olympics venue, too.

Last edited:
Back