Second GFI in same circuit.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlkirk

Reaction score
Is it permissible to put a GFI on the load side of another GFI. That is, I’d like to install a GFI with six regular outlets on the load side, then another GFI and six more outlets. Thanks

In a circuit with 2 GCFI's, in most cases, the second one will trip. Two in line will cancel each other out.

Two GFI's on one circuit are fine, but there is no valid reason to do so with one on the LOAD side of the other. Neither one will trip before or after the other for any reason, nor will either cancel the other out.

May I ask WHY you want to wire it this way? It is VERY unconventional and the second GFI is completely redundant. There is simply no reason for it.

My understanding is that a GFI should have only six or fewer outlets on the load side, yet I want twelve outlets on this wall. (It's a wood shop, and these outlets would be for hand held tools, battery chargers, radio, clock - other small draw stuff.) Any suggestions?

Twelve is fine, but you may get some nuisance tripping with that many on the load side.

Two GFI's on one circuit are fine, but there is no valid reason to do so with one on the LOAD side of the other. Neither one will trip before or after the other for any reason, nor will either cancel the other out.

May I ask WHY you want to wire it this way? It is VERY unconventional and the second GFI is completely redundant. There is simply no reason for it.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but it's GREAT to hear it from somebody who really knows the business.

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back