Overflow Leaking?!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDP

Reaction score
I built an addition onto an older house (not that it matters how old the house is, I'm sure) and put in a bathroom upstairs. About 3 weeks after the tub was put in, I used it to take a bath.
A few hours later, after I went downstairs (my bedroom is still down there), I noticed water stains on the ceiling in the guest room. I had a friend come over and cut out the area in the ceiling where the water was and the next day I had a plumber come out. He said everything seemed to be in working order but that it looked like the water leaked from the overflow drain! I'm really ticked - I just finished the house and now I have to tear some of it up!!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to prevent this from happening again? I feel like this drain isn't doing its job. Ugh. :mad:

He said everything seemed to be in working order but that it looked like the water leaked from the overflow drain!

i'm wondering why the plumber didn't check the gasket at the overflow and make sure it's doing its job. ;)

Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your problem. Get a new plumber and have him find the problem, there should be no guess work. With new house construction they plug the drain and fill the pipes with water to prove that all joints are good. This is sedom done on small repairs so any joint in the system could be bad. Did your guy suggest a fix?

nealtw said:
Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your problem. Get a new plumber and have him find the problem, there should be no guess work. With new house construction they plug the drain and fill the pipes with water to prove that all joints are good. This is sedom done on small repairs so any joint in the system could be bad. Did your guy suggest a fix?

Open the wall and fix it. What else do you want him to do. Put a 5 gal bucket there.

Open the wall and fix it. What else do you want him to do. Put a 5 gal bucket there. Why didn't I think of that. But what if it's a roof leak and not the plumbing.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I apologise; I wrote the first post out of frustration. I am not a plumber, nor do I have any idea what I am doing but I am trying to do what I can to help move things along. I have the plumber coming back out today. From what he said, it seemed like everything was working - it was my opinion that the water came from the overflow because of everything that led to the leak. As far as I knew, everything was working when they installed the plumbing - the only thing different about taking this bath is that I had the tub filled up. Again, I could be totally wrong.

Someone on another site mentioned a website that sells a gasket that may solve the problem - I am going to show it to the guy when he gets here and see what he thinks.

I will post an update when we figure it out!

Also, I apologise to anyone who has had to read this more than once - I've posted to a few sites trying to get some feedback. :) I really do appreciate everyone's concern and feedback; it helps me feel a little more educated on the subject and perhaps I might be of help to someone who is having a similar issue one day.

Ok, so update: (I'll try to keep this short!)

The pipes were fine, no leaking, no leaks where any of them join, etc. From what I can understand, the water wasn't completely going into the drain from the overflow and it was causing the water to get between the tub and the wall, therefore, leaking onto the ceiling below. Like I said, I don't completely understand all of this but I get the point. I ordered a gasket from the place someone suggested - Ultimate Overflow (http://ultimateoverflow.com) and even put it in myself (whoo hoo!). I filled up the tub and recreated the scene of the "crime" - before fixing the drywall of course (the drywallers will be here Thursday!) and nothing happened.

I feel confident in the drywall being installed this week now that the problem seems to have been fixed! I just hope I don't have to do that ever again... Thank goodness there was nothing in the room below or that would have been even worse! Now I just have to go to Home Depot for carpet...

Thank you all for your support!

Ok, so update: (I'll try to keep this short!)

The pipes were fine, no leaking, no leaks where any of them join, etc. From what I can understand, the water wasn't completely going into the drain from the overflow and it was causing the water to get between the tub and the wall, therefore, leaking onto the ceiling below. Like I said, I don't completely understand all of this but I get the point. I ordered a gasket from the place someone suggested - Ultimate Overflow (http://ultimateoverflow.com) and even put it in myself (whoo hoo!). I filled up the tub and recreated the scene of the "crime" - before fixing the drywall of course (the drywallers will be here Thursday!) and nothing happened.

I feel confident in the drywall being installed this week now that the problem seems to have been fixed! I just hope I don't have to do that ever again... Thank goodness there was nothing in the room below or that would have been even worse! Now I just have to go to Home Depot for carpet...

Thank you all for your support!

i'm glad things worked out for you. :D

Back