antenna mounting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

Just moved into a house near the mountain. Indoor antenna doesn't work well.

I noticed a satellite dish was installed near the power line (about 2 feet where power line is fed into the house). I am thinking of removing the dish and install the antenna there using the existing pole. Either slip the antenna pole into the current one if it fits:D or just using stainless steel ring.

Any issue of it being near the power line if one day my antenna falls near the power line. I am just being paranoid but don't really want to drill any additional holes on roof.

TT

Try it first without mounting it.

A satellite dish is a directional antenna that has a line of sight to the signal source which is a geosynchronous satellite.

If your new antenna isn't like this and is omnidirectional it may not work any better. You may instead need a very tall tower or a booster amplifier.

Last edited:
Try it first without mounting it.

A satellite dish is a directional antenna that has a line of sight to the signal source which is a geosynchronous satellite.

If your new antenna isn't like this and is omnidirectional it may not work any better. You may instead need a very tall tower or a booster amplifier.

I don't want to pay for the service. The satellite is from Dish Network.:rofl: I just want to use its mounting pole. The antenna I bought doesn't work to well indoor. I will need to install outside.

I'm sure that the mounting instructions that came with your antenna say not to install near power lines. Depending on your antenna size you may find it better to mount in your attic, if you have one.
You should check some information on antennas, reception and towers for your location here....

http://www.antennaweb.org/

Often, power lines can cause RF interference with a TV signal. Probably best to move it away from there - and if you include the danger of contact with the power lines, a new mounting bracket is no big deal.
As you probably already know, height will be helpful for reception in the mountains; any neighbors to ask for local advice?

When you talk about drilling into your roof, are you just talking about a mounting bracket - or are you drilling through the roof to run wires???

Being a Ham Radio operator, I have installed many antenna's of all shapes and sizes including TV antennas. It's too bad Radio Shack has gotten out of the Radio business. They used to have lots of antenna paraphernalia.

I would suggest staying as far away from any power lines as humanly possible. The risk isn't worth the savings. You can stand a piece of galvanized pipe up against your fascia and fasten it with a pipe clamp then mount the antenna on that. Stick it in the ground 6" or so and it ain't going anywhere.

Be aware that antennas have better gain than others. The more db gain, the greater the signal received. With a good Wiengard antenna and an antenna amplilfier you can pull signals in from far away

Power line frequencies are far removed from TV freqs but there is a patented cable with special shielding that combines power & signal lines. But those lines run in parallel over a distance so the coupling between them is stronger.

I'd be more worried about safety than interference but the safety issue can be handled with fuses and surge protectors.

If you have one favorite station/signal source then I'd aim my directional antenna that way.

Last edited:
Being a Ham Radio operator, I have installed many antenna's of all shapes and sizes including TV antennas. It's too bad Radio Shack has gotten out of the Radio business. They used to have lots of antenna paraphernalia.

I would suggest staying as far away from any power lines as humanly possible. The risk isn't worth the savings. You can stand a piece of galvanized pipe up against your fascia and fasten it with a pipe clamp then mount the antenna on that. Stick it in the ground 6" or so and it ain't going anywhere.

Be aware that antennas have better gain than others. The more db gain, the greater the signal received. With a good Wiengard antenna and an antenna amplilfier you can pull signals in from far away

I will try the fascia idea. Hopefully it will be strong enough there. Plus the RCA 751 antenna is not getting all the local channels I want. Time to try Winegard.

Wiengard also makes an amplifier that will help boost the signal. I tried one here recently, but I'm so close to our antenna farm, that it actually tried to combine several frequencies making the picture impossible to watch.

Back