Tub Faucet Leaks While Shower Is On

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazporrr

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I'm hoping that a few of you pros out there can give me some advice on a plumbing issue:

The Problem: My shower has three knobs, with the middle one responsible for turning the shower on and off. When I turn the knob on, the tub faucet leaks with a light stream of water. I couldnt find a forum for three knob systems, and am hoping for some advice on how to go about making this repair. Lastly, I live in a building, and as such, I do not have access/authorization to shut off the main water. Can the repair still be done without shutting off the main?

Thank you so much!!!!

This would be your central diverter stem.
What name brand is your shower body?
Picture might help us if you don't know
This requires no main water to be shut off
But before you take the stem out or try to post picture or more info we might be able to tell you the kind and you can go to plumbing store and pick up the part before install.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.....I took a picture and will go ahead and upload it.

I'm relieved to know that the main will not have to be shut off!

Thanks again.

Shower.jpg

shower 2.jpg

mazporrr said:
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.....I took a picture and will go ahead and upload it.

I'm relieved to know that the main will not have to be shut off!

Thanks again.

Ok I can't tell what type it is?
Before you take the diverter out make shore the water is on tub mode not shower
And the handles are both off
Take the screw out out of the handle and see if the handle comes off.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Indiana Brass, American Standard, Sayco, and a few others used handles like those.

Pull the diverter stem and see what you have.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I look forward to completing this undertaking over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back