Can anyone help me with bamboo selection

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
OK, I've heard so much about bamboo, both good and bad. I've done some research but the more I learn, the harder it is to make a decision.

The good:

Strand bamboo is harder to scratch and slightly more water resistant than hard wood

The bad:

Gives off some type of fume and could smell bad
If the company harvests the bamboo too early or too late, it could splinter

I've never been a fan of the click tyoe floors. I like that sturdy feel in a floor, the floating stuff just gives it a cheap feel.

So, can someone help us choose a good brand for our kitchen remodel? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have worked with a lot of bamboo. Yes, moisture does cause an odor but it has never been clear to me if it was from under the flooring or the flooring itself.

In high traffic areas, using a floating system over a soft underlayment, I do not find it to be better than other flooring. If that area gets wet, the top finish tends to wear badly.

You might check the prices too. I understand there is a tariff add-on that prices Chinese bamboo significantly higher now, compared to a few years ago.

Here is some of my most recent bamboo flooring and decor work ...

Bamboo Board 1.JPG

I think most companies have solved the smell thing, I think it was the resin they were using.

Back